The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Haslam College of Business at the University of Tennessee Anderson Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Haslam College of Business at the University of Tennessee

Setting up Your Business

Choose a Business Name

See Establishing a Brand to help you with this.  You can find out if this name is already registered with the state and file a form to secure your name at the Tennessee Secretary of State website.

Determine and Set Up the Business Structure

Here are the types of structures typically considered:

An Internet search using “compare business structures” will reveal several different charts from several different vendors that show the benefits and disadvantages for each.

LLCs must file articles of organization and corporations must file articles of incorporation.  Forms can be found at the TN Secretary of State website.

Here are some tidbits to help you with your decision:

Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

You have to get a federal tax ID if your business is anything other than a sole proprietorship.  Instructions for online registration are at the IRS website.

State of Tennessee Requirements

All business types that have employees (regardless of the structure chosen) must get a state tax identification number, and register for both income tax withholding and unemployment Insurance tax.  The State of Tennessee has a One Stop Business Resource website that can help you decide on a name, file a business charter, obtain a state tax ID number, and obtain an unemployment insurance number.

Some companies need business licenses and some don’t.  You may need a business license both in your city and in your county.  Check with your County Clerk to see if you need a county business license and with your city clerk to see if you need a city business license.

There may be other licenses or permits needed to run your business, depending on the type of business. For example, a home-based Internet business may only require a Tennessee business license to operate. However, a retail store may have to obtain a business license, zoning permit, seller’s permit, and a sales tax license. Contact your city or county clerk to ensure the business has met all legal obligations.

Anderson Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation ~ 418 Haslam Business Building
Knoxville, TN ~ 37996-4140 ~ Phone: (865) 974-5126 ~ Email:

Haslam College of Business Facebook Page.   Haslam College of Business Twitter Page.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System